TITLE: NETWORK ENGINEER
Supervisor: Manager of Broadband Services
Supervision Given: None
Location: Cookson Hills Electric Cooperative Headquarters, Stigler, OK
Summary of Duties:
The Network Engineer is a leader in designing, implementing, and maintaining network systems and their associated hardware and software for the Cookson Hills Connect fiber to the home telecommunications network. The Network Engineer researches and implements best practices in networking to provide optimum residential and commercial data and voice communication services.
- Maintains day-to-day operations and security of networks and servers including operating systems and applications for Cookson Hills Connect.
- Designs and implements network connectivity for LAN and WAN connections, including documentation of network connections.
- Coordination of technical projects that frequently involve other groups within Cookson Hills Connect or personnel at partner systems, vendors, and customers.
- Maintains equipment support and server licensing contracts.
- Receives and evaluates requests for additional network applications and makes recommendations on required hardware and software.
- Assist subscriber support team to enable subscribers to access the network successfully.
- Oversees maintenance of all network devices with all firmware and software updates and security patches and features.
- Promotes and maintains a safe working environment, observes all safety rules, and supports the Mission Statement and Core Values in carrying out the responsibilities of the position.
- Supports and keeps abreast of bylaws, guidelines, policies/procedures and philosophies of the parent Cooperative to effectively serve and support members and subscribers.
- Performs other duties as assigned to fulfill the objectives of the company and this position.
- Confers with other departments as needed to address networking needs.
- Maintains great relations with vendors, contractors, subscribers, customers, and the general public in carrying out the responsibilities of this position. Works with consultants and construction team to test and light network.
- Attend/assist at annual membership meetings and district meetings as needed.
Educational Requirements & Qualifications:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should have the following education, competencies, and experience:
- Associates degree in Networking, Telecommunications, IT or related field required, Bachelor’s degree preferred. Equivalent industry experience may potentially be considered toward substitution of degree requirements.
- Five or more years of telecommunications experience designing, managing, and provisioning networks involving IP, PON, MPLS, VoIP and Ethernet services.
- Windows and Linux server administration. Experience with virtualized environments preferred.
- Solid understanding of current cyber security principles and practices. Direct firewall provisioning experience preferred.
Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Solid working experience and knowledge in at least six of the following technical areas:
- PON fiber technologies
- Routers, switches, and firewalls
- IP protocols (OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, etc.)
- Server virtualization and common hypervisors
- Windows and Linux server platforms
- DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, Radius, etc.
- Fiber and copper cabling
- Equipment mounting and installation
- Organized and a self-starter.
- Proven ability to multi-task and plan/organize work to meet deadlines, all with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with demonstrated problem-solving abilities.
- Effective written and oral communication skills and the ability to work as a team player.
This position mainly requires sitting to complete work with a computer and telephone. Some walking and standing are also required, as well as occasional lifting and/or carrying and/or pushing/pulling of various equipment such as routers, servers, or switch gear generally less than 20 pounds. A team approach is expected for tasks with forces greater than 20 pounds. Visual acuity is essential. Field work will also be required. Limited travel required for training and meetings as needed and directed. Work hours outside of 40-hour work week may be required during emergency conditions or as needed.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also perform other reasonably related job responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties, and working schedules.
It is understood that this job description and any other company documents are not contracts of employment, and that any individual who is hired may voluntarily leave employment upon proper notice, and may be terminated by the employer at any time for any reason. It is understood that any oral or written statements to the contrary are hereby expressly disavowed and should not be relied upon by any prospective or existing employee.
“Cookson Hills Electric Cooperative, Inc. is an equal opportunity provider and employer.”
COOKSON HILLS ONLINE APPLICATION
Note: Applicants applying for positions that require them to drive Cooperative vehicles must also fill out the Driver’s Supplemental Application for Employment
This application will be considered only for the vacant position for which you are applying. To be considered for other vacant positions, a new application must be filed. The following information is requested in order to help us make the best possible placement within the Cooperative. All portions of this application pertaining to you must be completed. We appreciate the time you spend in filling in this application form.
The Cooperative, in accordance with state and federal laws, does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status. The Cooperative also is required by law, by virtue of its contract(s) with the federal government, to take affirmative action to employ women, minorities, otherwise qualified disabled Individuals, and Vietnam Era and disabled veterans.
COOKSON HILLS ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.